Saturday, November 01, 2008

Fudgey Day,Fall Back Night

Yep, I did the unspeakable.. Made a batch of Mrs. Pemberton's fudge...and as you can see, it set slightly prematurely in the pressure cooker, and I was under great pressure to scrape it out and onto a bed of Pecans before it totally hardened into one big lump. How did she do it??? How did Mrs. Pemberton make something like forty apples all perfectly coated int his beautiful fudge, without it turning rock hard? I guess it is a secret that went to her grave, although, I have vague memories of fudge in a pot ,set into another pot of boiling water to keep it soft... All a lot more than I could ever manage. For the recipe ...check the sidebar under recipes and look for fudge. It takes you back to my old obeast site, and you have to scroll down a bit to get to it, but it is exactly the one I used tonight. It foams up a lot at the outset of cooking.Be careful the splashes don't scald you. Stir it a lot and keep the heat going under a heavy pot.I used my pressure cooker. It needs to be around 248*,or a soft firm ball stage when dropped into water...you'll be able to pick up the drop of fudge and mass it into a ball that doesn't disintagrate. Once at that stage, remove from heat immediately, and add the butter and vanilla. I set the whole pot into a sink that has two or three inches of cold water in it...then I stir like crazy. It firms up fairly quick. This is where a strong arm would come in handy to lift the pot and hold it, while you scrape the fudge out. Maybe I left it in the cold water too long.


The bottom line is that it tastes yummy yummy and goes best with a crunchy fresh apple, in case you didn't get a chance to dip the apple in the fudge!


This was the view up the lake this morning.. the low fog hung around for most of the day with a little rain later in the afternoon.

The wind brought down the cottonwood leaves like a snowstorm ...and into my new garden.

The only sign of colour in my garden...a few marguarites that survived the transition.

I was so stiff int he hips and knees after dancing lst night, that we headed for the hot-tub this morning for a couple of twenties... Silky enjoyed the mild weather and hot-tub too... She just observes!
Ok, past my bedtime again...I am a zombie today. Don't forget to turn your clocks back!


"The Creator"

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new garden area is looking smaller but more manageable for sure.

Can't wait for my visit......L