Saturday, February 28, 2009

Grandma Shumey's Pork or Chicken and Potatoe Casserole


I am using this new stoneware cooker just cause it is new and has a lid.I usually use my large low corning ware pan. I spray it with Pam first.



Here I am browning a pork shoulder chop and some chicken patties I made up with ground chicken, an egg and breadcrumbs and Montreal Chicken spice (from Costco) and salt and pepper.

In a little olive oil, brown the meat on both sides then throw in the onions.
While the meat is cooking, ready your other ingredients.

You need a can of mushroom soup, a can of sliced or button mushrooms, and a pork or chicken gravy mix ( besides your pork chops or chicken meat) and potatoes sliced lengthwise. I used five small ones today.

Lift the meat out when it is browned and continue to saute your onions.
Then open your can of mushrooms . Do not drain!


After the onions have fried up a bit, dump in the can of mushrooms, juice and all.




I add the mushroom soup on top of the onions and mushrooms


After adding the soup, I fill the can with water and add my pork gravy mix to it.



With the meat underneath, I have layered on the potatoes which have been sliced in eighths lengthwise in order to cook more rapidly.




I just stir in the mushroom soup until it is mixed up. Don't worry if the soup is lumpy. It will all cook down by the end.


Pour your soup and mushroom onion mixture over the potatoes and meat.

A large 9x12 pyrex works just as well. If there isn't enough liquid, you can add another 3/4 cup or so of water ...just so the spuds get cooked. I have a lid for this cooker, but usually cover the pan with tinfoil if I am using a low pyrex , french white or corning-ware pan. It may boil over in the later stages of cooking, so keep an eye on it after thirty minutes. It should be deliciously tender in one hour with all the potatoes cooked and the gravy rendered down. You can lift the tinfoil or lid off for the last 15 minutes or so, if it wants to boil over or has too much liquid.This is great served with a green salad and a side of cauliflower. Enjoy! We always loved coming to Grandma Shumeys and having the aroma of this casserole greeting us at the door. Of course she served it up with a side of perogies and canned corn for the kids!Enjoy...any questions, give me a comment or a call.
Here it is, 60 minutes later...note that the liquid has reduced
oh-oh...someone smells dinner...
On my plate with a salad of sorts, and cauliflower and applesauce..mmm...good!





Enjoy!





"The Creator"











Posted by Picasa

No comments: