Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Margo's Gingersnap dunkers

This recipe makes a nice big batch of cookies that are the best when hot or when dunked in a hot cup of tea...as they do go crispy hard in no time flat. That in no way has deterred me from eating most all of them with my tea at lunch or after dinner.
What brought me to gingersnaps was the fact that I have more than two cartons of molasses kicking around from Emil's party last summer when I baked the beans. For that matter, I have quite a few packages of beans left over also. Any other molasses recipes would be greatly appreciated! In the meantime,here is MArgo's recipe for gingersnaps. She makes them with real butter and I used margarine. MAybe they are softer if they are made with butter. I don't know. She sometimes uses less butter and a little oil in its place.
You can roll them in balls and in sugar then either flatten with a fork, or just leave them to melt into a cookie in the oven. I baked some for twelve minutes and the rest for 10 minutes. I was trying for the chewy centres. Yes, they were chewy when hot, but once cooled, they were all rock hard. The good news is that one dunk in hot tea and they melt in your mouth!



Roll little balls about the size of a walnut and then roll in granulated sugar

Bake ten to twelve minutes. Do not over bake

Yum yum...eat it hot from the oven or dunk them in your coffee or tea.

Here is the recipe:

Margo's Gingersnaps

3/4 cup butter or margarine or a little less butter and oil, instead

Cream in 2 cups of sugar

Stir in:

2 well beaten eggs

1/2 cup molasses

2 tsp. vinegar


Sift and add while stirring

3 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2-3 tsp ginger ( could add some frsh grated ginger as well)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves

mix till blended. Roll into 1" balls and roll in sugar.
Either flatten or leave whole, then bake for twelve minutes or less. Do not overcook!
Bake at 350*
Enjoy... I did!


"The Creator"

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those look yummy Bea...how will I ever be able to lose weight?? I just bought some white choco to make Macadamina cookies. need to find a recipe??

You are sure a good blogger!! Love ya, L