Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Blue birds are back



Lynn sent me her photo of the bluebird



It looks like we have a little flock of about 6 bluebirds that have returned. They are loving the newly cleared property next door. it must be full of little insects that are getting stirred up after David goes over the grassy areas with his mower/chopper machine.

Use your bifocals to see these ones in the brush



Lynn came out for the weekend and we had a mini belated birthday dinner last night.
Here she is with her strawberry shortcake!




The three of us at Jackson's Hole... whats with that cheesy grin, B?
Lynn met Joyce and I after work on Friday and we all enjoyed a yummy dinner out at Jackson's Hole in Nelson. I have to say it was noisier than I would have liked with little kids running around and screaming. I guess we should have stayed in the lounge part of the restaurant. However, the caesers were very good...came with two fat green olives instead of celery, and they do serve good sized portions.
Friday night after we arrived home, David, the new neighbour had started a bonfire and emil and Lynn and the two doggies all went over for with our refreshments. Around 9, it did get cold on the butt,so Lynn and I came home.
For breakfast on Saturday morning, I made blintzi which I served with fried up ham and boiled eggs and then fresh strawberries and sour cream for the blintz... All very good as I hadn't made those in quite a long time.
Lynn helped me immensely with my weekly household cleanup and laundry and then I spent some time in the kitchen preparing the Phyllo wrapped salmon from the Whitewater cookbook. I heard it was quite delicious. I used a filet of Emil's nice rainbow trout and substituted spinach for the kale. So essentially one cleans and chops up the white and a bit of green of three leaks, then fries them up. Steam the spinach ( I used one med bag)( in the microwave) (and drain) and cut the salmon into 6 pieces. You lay out one sheet of phyllo dough with the short end horozontal in front of you. Brush it with melted butter and lay another sheet on top and brush it with butter too. Place your piece of salmon a few inches from the front and in the middle. I sprinkled on a little lemon pepper and then put a sixth of the fried leaks on top, and then a nice clump of the drained steamed spinach and then abunch of dill I had frozen, but fresh would be good. top that off with a few tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and the lemon zest from the peel..
Next fold the left side over top of the salmon ( I brushed on a bit more butter and then folded the right side side over and another brush of butter and then start rolling it up into a neat packet from the the bottom to top. These lovely bundles can be made ahead and frozen or kept in the fridge until ready to cook. You bake them on parchment paper for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and sizzling. The fish was very nicely done, good and moist and a good portion for one person
The sauce that accompanied the salmon packets was a white wine sauce made from fish or clam stock, ginger,a shallot ,all reduced and strained, then cream added . At the end you add fresh lemon juice and dill. I served it with brown and wild rice mix and the sauce over top of all. I have a doozy of a cold still so I couldn't really taste anything but the lemon in the sauce. I think I would try a lemony coconut cream sauce next time... as it seemed pretty fishy to me ! (It was my own homemade fish stock)
Have a good Sunday!


"The Creator"


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Salmon was so yummy in that Phylo packet. You sure worked hard to make me a dinner fit for a QUEEN.

Love ya, for being so special....L