Sunday, August 03, 2008

Making Pytahee


fillings from left to right...bacon and onion, potatoe and cheddar cheese, sourcrout, cottage cheese, and also a hamburger and potatoe filling, not in the picture. I prepared these the night before. Typically, Russian pytahee are filled with vegetarian fillings , included mashed kidney beans, mashed peas, shreddded and fried beets, squash, and always cottage cheese...
However, other people have developed other fillings and in the long run, the best filling is whatever your family eats... maybe I'll try some cajun or currey, next time!

The dough is a soft dough.. I put a dozen eggs in this one ... and it rises into a nice puffy pastry

Next you roll out little rounds of dough, and then fill them with the fillings and lastly, fold the dough over-top the filling so in looks like a little braided papoose. Now, the typical Russian cook, would assemble these to all be one size and all look exactly alike, but when one makes them only once or twice a year, it is good if they just get some filling in them and they are folded and baked.
I bake them on my baking stone from Pampered Chef.

Once baked, the filled pytahee are eaten warm,with melted butter and sour cream on top of them... YUmmmy! My daughters were ever so pleased... mummsie food!!!


"The Creator"

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just looking at those Pytahee make my mouth water!!
I am so Happy you have your daughters home for your B'day..and Scot too! All in all looks like you had a perfect day!
Hugs and Kisses all around from Aunty Lynn