Wednesday, October 24, 2007

First the story,,,pics to follow

So I laughed my butt off when I read Correna's story regarding her HAllowe'en party that she is getting ready to host this week-end...of course this involves a little decorating... but here it is in Correna's own words...she said I could share it... thanks Correna...you will have us all in stitches... Now I can't wait for the photos...


My Hallowe'en Rant:

I may have gotten carried away with Halloween this year. I say this with hesitation because I really can't be sure; And in my own crazy mind, I actually think I'm sane....It goes without saying that I love Halloween. It's simply a great holiday - it comes with candy and dress up - what's not to love?Anyway, for several years I've tossed around the idea of throwing a Ghostly party - complete with a haunted house and the works. Joe is less than enthused with this idea and so he has pacified me in the past by dragging all my decorations to my office to help me with a creation of some dreadful scene that celebrates ghosts and witches. In any event, this year was the party year. We reached a compromise on the haunted house theme and I agreed to a few indoor decorations but with most of the Halloween fun stuff outside on the deck of the house to greet the arrivals to the party.

So last Sat. marked a week before the party and so it was time to put the decorations in place. The inside of my house got draped in black ratty curtains, giant spiders on the walls and ghosts hanging from thec eiling. Joe was conveniently downstairs while I did all this and so getting consensus on whether I could put holes in the ceiling or pin stuff into the walls was quietly asked but without any response, I assumed he was in total agreement. He walked upstairs to find a rather transformed house complete with a pool of fake blood dripping off thefireplace.

His one question was whether the "bride ghost corpse"hanging in the living room was actually wearing my wedding dress? She wasn't but I don't think that made him feel any better about the deadly puncture wound in the middle her stomach. When I told him that I was ready to put up the "outside" decorations he looked at me from over the top of his glasses and very quietly asked whether he would need his drill...?
The fact that he did is irrelevant.I made my very best efforts to minimize the need for holes in our house in order to hold up the tree branches that I wanted to overhang the deck but sometimes, string just doesn't cut it. After the tree drilling, he got electricity out there for me to plug in orange strings of lights and engaged in a discussion about where best to put speakers for the Haunted Music to creep up and around the arriving guests. (I'm thinking under the deck but neither of us has volunteered to crawl under there yet.) I haven't figured where the fog machine will be placed either but my idea of the roof or under the steps will have to be carefully approached???
We had to buy another extension cord... we needed one anyway. The lighted pumpkins at the front gates require power and Joe agreed to put hooks in the overhead gate (20 feet up) in order to hang such extension cords in the event that we need power for other things - like Christmas or Easter. I guess he's looking to make his life easier in the future.Last night I did some last minute shopping at West Edmonton Mall. Theyhave a great store there called Spencer's that loves Halloween as much as I do.
I bought a rat that flops around in a trap and a costume for Simba dog. It's an Elvis costume! - and this is where I think I mighthave gone overboard. My dog can't talk but he does have a way of communicating with me. I tied the bell bottom jump suit on him, complete with sequins and a cape with a high collar. He couldn't walk very well, which actually added to his look because he would fling his front feet out in front of him or to the side which was pretty much justl ike the real Elvis. It was quite funny to watch. However, I don't think Simba was amused, nor do I think he likes Halloween to the extent that I do. He managed to find a way to shed the costume rather quickly(much like his hair) and headed out the door of the house. I never saw him again for an hour. I guess that's his answer to dressing up for the party... "if I can't go as a super dog, I'm not going as anything"....I'm returning the dog costume today. c.


"The Creator"

No comments: