Wednesday, December 06, 2006

X-Country Skiing

Seven of the Badminton team met at Connie's last night and donned our cross country skis for a moonlit ski through Kokanee-Creek Provincial Park. Although, Sharon's hubby, Bud , is not on the badminton team, he was the lead of our "Conga-Train" for the night...and a good leader he was. Ouar first hurdle was to chicken -walk up the foot bridge that crosses Kokanee Creek. I kept praying that I wouildn't start skiing in reverse and slide back to the beginning. With one last grunt, I made it up what seemed to be a stair, onto the deck of the bridge. It went better than I expected, and launching off the other end down a winding sloped continuation of the bridge, proved to be almost as tricky. I nearly skiied right over-top of poor Sue, as I couldn't figure out how one puts on the brakes when your ski route is only about three feet wide with railings and support posts on either side. I guess they have it all wheel-chair accessible for the summer visitors,and those viewing the red kokanee ,as they go up the creek to spawn.
Bud kept the train of gals on track, by being the trail breaker in many cases, and he led us up and down the roads that join the campsites together, until we emerged fromt he forest and into the day park area. The lake spread out before us with a beautiful night vista showing up all the lights reflecting alongside the lakeshore, and for an added touch , the full moon popped out of the clouds.
We all wished we had thought of bringing a camera along for that one shot of a lifetime.. silohuettes of 7 skiers in a line, white snow glistening up front, lake shimmering in the back and a full moon surrounded by aring of puffy clouds.

So no-one had a camera, but the visual will live on ,in the memory bank. It was pristine!
Everone shut of their headlamps and followed one another int he bright moonlite, all along the beach for a kilometer or so, without a sound, except for the odd honking of a Canada Goose, camped out on the lake somewhere.
We doubled back and forth several times to give me the work-out of my life, ( besides the shovelling episode of the night before) and when someone suggested we begin to head back, I was gung -ho. By then, Sue and I were both pretty pooped. I am sure we had put on over five kilometers in six inch deep snow, at that point. We wwere still near the visitor centre, and had to ski back tot he bridge..this time ,making our way up the winding ramp ( another heave to launch myself onto the deck of the bridge) .
I was greatfull to be back at the start,as by then, my shoulder was giving me a bit of pain.

Afterwards, the girls, and Bud ( he has the backhoe service out on the North-shore) all congregated at Sue's place to celebrate Connie's 54th birthday. Mare had brought a lovely double layer chocolate cake, and everyone else pitched in with munchies, making it into a regular badminton party. Mare was up to her usual non-stop story telling, which provided us with many laughs. She also brought along a box of Pepper and Olive Oil-Triscuits. Something new and delicious to look for at your favourite supermarket, cause they are not at the page I have linked you to!
At ten o'clock, I called it a night and so did everyone else. I was glad to get home and fall into bed.

Look at me tonight...still doodle-farting around on the puter and it is heading towards midnight.
I chatted with Sonia andAnnette tonight and caught up on all of the news. Sonia's cough is a little better, and Annette seems to be doing great at her new job, and everyone is getting ready for Xmas. Me too. I hung up this very nifty strip above the patio doors, put out by velcro, to hang my cards on. Works like a damn and comes from Canadian tire. Might not be enough card hanger-upper velcros, but we'll deal with that later. I only have three cards at the moment to hang!
Good night... I am falling off my perch. I spent a good amount of my evening looking up hot spots to vacation in, come January.

"The Creator"

No comments: