Monday, December 11, 2006

Ginger-Bread House Deluxe...





I'd like to be the owner of this wonderful creation, but alas, it tis not me. Sounds liek Correna spent the week-end building this great feat of architecture! Way to go, C. , and the added touch of the little skaters and the Dicken's folks skooting around, makes it one sweet Christmas scene. The roofing material is quite interesting...New Mexico adobe tiles? Just joking! I commend you for being so brave as to tackle a gingerbread house.
I have unfond memories of making more and more Royal Icing to add yet another layer of stick-um to the joints every time a wall would quietly start to peel away from the rest of the house. It was the first time I recall buying merengue powder to mix up , instead of using egg whites. A little 250 gram carton of powder didn't go too far when the house was about 2400 sq. feet...(make that inches!) It was pretty tall, like Correnas, but had a quirky roof that belonged on a troll house. We bought out the candy section at the Warfield store and plastered on about twenty pounds of everything from licorice to jube-jubes. In the end, I could hardly lift the damn thing....and no-one could even break off a candy, cause the royal icing with all of the merengue powder in it, has solidified into white stone. To top it off, the royal icing apparently found its way onto everything I ever touched. It solidified all over my little Warfield kitchen and was a Royal mess to clean up.
Poor Sonia and Annette, sometime after New Years day, eventually gave up trying to chew off the candy and the whole thing had to hit the ditch. Besides, neither of them like giungerbread too much)
Congrats to C. for building and sharing her masterpiece and good luck to all who undertake the building of such a fun Christmas project. ( Warning: Have plenty of icing sugar on hand and lots of hot water to wipe off the goo as it cementifies!)

"The Creator"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a hint I learnt while building a Ginger bread house. A friend told me as we were building one when she dropped in.
She said they use melted sugar-using an electric frying pan to glue the house together. Melt it being Very careful it doesn't burn and it worked like a hot dam.
L.

Buzzy said...

Thanks L.for the great tip...Makes me almost want to build a gingerbread house! It at least makes me want gingersnaps!