Saturday, May 02, 2009

The Bon-fire and Bruchettas


Friday night was a perfect night to move the Happy hour to the beach over at Deba nd Ashley's

Here is Mike, roasting his Italian sausage. Everyone else was already done roasting... and they were delicious! Mike and Alissa brought the left over chili from last week's party,so we dined like kings on a beach!

Now here is where it gets serious... Emil brought out the Cohiba cigars that we brought back from Cuba...and you guessed it... we smoked them around the fire! They should have been accompanied with a little scotch, but it seems like wine was just fine. The cigars were a pleasant surprise to us all, as we aren't smokers anymore..and of course, never inhaled...but they somehow were pretty good...aslong as they stayed lit! It was all pretty much funny and a good way to get in the bonfire beach spirit!

Mike and Alissa were yukking it up witht he cigars too... all pretty funny. I thought my mouth would taste like horse poo this morning, but miraculously, Colgate did the trick and all was fine!
I took off early to town to have my Mamos grammed...then did some groceries, ansd walmarted for peat moss and sunshine mix and a rosebush,then set off to Save on for some odd ball things that I was out of...Panko crumbs. You can buy them there. Then I stopped at Safeway and the LCB. That would be two more stops than my normal ability to handle shopping at once. I had the car full, so had to quit shopping at any rate!

When I returned home, a car pulled into the driveway ahead of me and it turned out to be Emil's buddy Wayne, from Cranbrook and his new flame... Sheryl, who took over Emil's job.Weenjoyed the sunshine outside with a few Caronas and then I made some of NAdine and Lynn's bruschetta... so easy. I had found the garlic flavoured ( brushetta style) diced tomatoes in Save-on. They are
by Aylmer and called Accents. (diced tomatoes)

I flavoured them up a little more with more fresh garlic, and a cube of pesto for the nice basil flavour...plus 3 or 4 finely chopped green onions, and a quarter cup of light olive oil. Reserve mixture until you toast the bread slices. I then sliced my baquette on the diagonal, brushed the slices with a light coat of olive oil, and broiled the bread slices on a cookie sheet until they were lightly browned. Watch carefully...or charcoal brickettes will happen!
Top each bread slice with a few tablespoons of the brushetta mixture, (spread across the slice of bread,) then add a sprinkle of parmasean cheese and I added a few sprinkles of grated cheddar cheese. Once they are all topped, just place back under the broiler and watch carefully. toast until the cheese melts a bit and quickly take them out and serve. These are a delicious, easy to make appi, and you can feed a lot of people with it, as one can of diced tomatoes does almost a whole baquette if you are frugal! Five of us inhaled what I cooked on one smaller cookie sheet!

Sheryl and Wayne stayed for BBQ'd smokies and a big salad and fresh strawberries for desert. It was good to touch base with them ,as we hadn't had them over for ages. Sheryl was excited about returning to Victoria tomorrow, as her daughter is due to have baby #3 as we speak. Sheryl hopes her daughter holds out until she arrives, but has a sneaky feeling that the baby will arrive before she does!
well, I think the canucks stunk tonight.. It was such a bad game that I fell asleep on the couch! Now I have to go to real bed. I didn't get to my garden today so have a prayer in for the sun gods at least for the morning!
Love ya all...have a good week-end...



"The Creator"
Posted by Picasa

No comments: