Sunday, November 02, 2008

Did you Turn your clocks back?/Pomtinis

If you did turn them back, then you are probably turning the covers back on your bed and crawling in... Just exactly where I am heading. Silky is already there!
So ....these are my beautiful pears that came off OUR tree. 1st time in ten years did they produce something... ( emil pruned the bejesus out of it) I should take one up to the lady that planted the tree in the first place. They look exquisite, and taste delicious, but they are due, today! I guess I should have opened the crocks up prior to six weeks, but I just did as was suggested for a winter pear... Even the teeny tiny ones look as pretty as these! It looks like I'll try to can some tomorrow after work. In the meantime, I'd be happy to off load some if anyone is interested...NOW!!!:-) I ate four today myself. John and Ronda came for dinner adn guess what they got to take home with them...PEARS!!! My French friend, Evy used to make a pear cake that was to die for... kind of a flan or streudal cake batter in a round pan , then she pressed peeled halfs of pears into the top of the cake, cut side down...radiating out from the middle, like spokes of a wheel. Once the cake was cooked, she drizzled the pears with melted chocolate and served with whipped cream... Now that was a desert made in heaven...Anyone would love that. I would have made it for dinenr tonight,except that I only discovered the pear dilemma about 15 minutes before Ronda and John walked in the door.


It is/was pomegranite season and I have always loved them,but my favourite these days is POM juice, or any juice mix with Pomegranite juice blended in ( Canadian Wholesale has many varieties...Blackcurrent, cranberry...) It is great over ice, on its own, but for a special occasion, here is a tasty martini to make...
To make a nice POMtini, just put a few tablespoons of the pomegranite seeds into the bottom of your martini glass. Next, get some ice in your shaker and shake up a splash of Blue Sapphire gin and a half cup or so of POM brand POmegranite juice. Shake for a second or three, the pour over your little pomegrante seeds, and enjoy. The seeds will taste better than ever after the drink is gone!

We had a good little visit with John and Ronda, who told us all about the lovely kitchen renovation they are helping Ronda's mom and dad ( Phoebe and Ron) with. It sounds like it was a major undertaking, but now Phoebe will ahve anew counter, fresh painted cupboards and freshly painted walls. i'll be stopping by to take a look see one of these nights after work! Sounds all fabulous and fresh!

We enjoyed a nice trout dinner...and it keeping with Nelson's big theme of a Hundred mile diet... most of all of our food tonight was from the lake or my garden, except the fried rice. Even the apples for apple betty came from Joyce's ,so we are doing our part.. I won't mention all that brown sugar in the fudge!

Here's our little oak tree on the lakeside...

"The Creator"
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those pears look delish!..Should of taken a picture of my lovely pears. The harder you prune the Bigger they get. Bob just pruned ours.......

Love looking at all your new pictures..and weren't those Grandbabes of mine too Cute!!!