Sunday, October 05, 2008

Apple Queen


Check the size of these apples from Joyce's tree...the size of grapefruits! The tree is a KING apple variety...an ancient one that produces every three or four years, in Joyce and Morgan's case... Thank-you Morgan, for picking and Joyce for catching them:-)

Emil peeled me three pails of these giant beauties...and then I did the slicing and figuring out what to make the finshed product into. The apples fluff up beautifully for apple sauce...and anything that accidently overcooked for the purpose of pies, became applesauce. I had one batch going on the stove and two batches in big casseroles, going int he Nuker. It only takes about 1/4 cup of water and 5 to 8 minutes to thoroughly cook the apples in the microwave. 5 is good to start with if you wan them for pie filling. I generated enough pie filling to fill 7 ten inch bought tinfoil pie plates, and still had four -6 cup bags of filling left for the freezer. The apples were really huge...thus they resulted in lots of apple product for winter... I made three Apple bettys and froze bags of applesauce and then still had a little pie dough left for some apple turnovers... all was delicious...I was Pie-eyed by 12:30 am when I washed my last dishand ended up with a Corona and a little Saturday night Live, before falling into bed.


I used these bought foil pans for the Apple Bettys...two with a regular topping and one with the Cottage pudding type topping...crumbly but with an egg added to the flour and butter mixture.

Our radiant sunrise on friday, I think

Depressed Silky after her bath yesterday. I did her hair up fancy, but she wasn't interested in having her manicure.. Her butt end hurt after I nipped her with the electric clippers. Handy devices, but a little tricky around the flabby parts......:-)

Hark, I see a ray of sunshine...below the mountain of fresh snow... I think I will head down to the garden for a bit... The turkey carcus is in the pressure cooker ,ready for soup, and Emil offered to do the salad. I should be further along in the day's job list...like hemming my new pants. They only come in 32" lengths...but a ghost flipped the tealight lantern that used to hang on the side of my cabinet and it completely shattered in a gazillion pieces of glass all over my kitchen. Thank goodness the apple fixings were done with. For the third time, I brought out the vacuum today...
okey dokey have a good rest of your Sunday.

PS... good news from Betty in Oregon. Her grandson, Chris, who was brain injured in a skateboard accident ( no helment) some 25 days ago, said his first words last night, two days after the neurosurgeon did surgey to remove a blood clot on his brain. Whew! Everyone was praying that he would come out of his coma eventually and it looks like he has, finally and much to the relief of his family and friends. His hurdles aren't over as he still has the tracheotomy, the tube , feed, the pneumonia and lord knows what else... Everyone keeps praying for a full recovery,as at 18 or 19 years old, he has a long life ahead of him to manage.



"The Creator"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Silky looks just like she was Groomed professionally!!

So Apple Queen I did something with my apples this afternoon too.

I have two bags of 4cups frozen,4 cups with a water/sug. mix and apple sauce. I will take 3 cups of sauce to Nadine and make something there. I did save some that we might just eat tomorrow. I have made 6 Pear Crisps last week..So I am crisped out. What is that egg mix one you do???
...........thanks for telling me about those apples or they would of been wrecked by the time I got home??.............love Lynn